Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Yes, Quite

What life is enough? Don’t pretend
You haven’t wondered. What is noble

Enough? What is safe and comfortable
Enough? How much righteous askesis

Is enough? Love, the light, and a little
Physical satisfaction or, better yet,

All the time to do what you wanted,
To do nothing, nothing much? It’s not

A term we like to equate with worthies
Or worthwhile occupation in others.

How often have I heard someone
Or some goal being disparaged for being

Only concerned with merely enough?
And yet, it’s all anyone’s anxiously asking,

Have I collected enough data, thought
Hard enough, collaborated enough,

Served enough, worshipped my divinity
Passionately, purely, honestly enough,

Practiced enough, paid enough dues,
Advertised and organized all this enough,

Helped my suffering people, my family,
My colleagues, my planet enough?

That’s enough. You will have done
And had it once you lose it. Until then,

Can you maybe coax a lull from this day,
This morning, this window, this light,

This pause between chores and checking
Whether your whole world is ending soon

Enough to sit and think about how
The unreachability of enough is enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment