Thursday, May 28, 2020

Calm without Significance, Peace That Isn't a Sign
 
I sit my insignificant body,
Of no interest to anyone but me
And the keepers of data these days,

On a grey boulder that used to be black
And a blob of molten lava before that,
Looking out over a panorama

Of mountains, mesas, canyons, and desert,
Which reveal no roads or houses from here.
They’re down there. One housed me. One led me here.

I imagine myself an ornament,
Scenographical, a wayside hermit
Perched on a rock at the edge of a cliff,

Gazing, wisely and foolishly, at what?
A bit of landscape. A wedge of the world.
Should I raise a cairn? Scratch lines on the stones?

Allude to sutras or a sage or two?
Hold this pose until someone notices?
Better, let’s litter. Let’s leave this I here.

No comments:

Post a Comment