Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Child Born Disabled Looks Back

Yes, I want a medal
For participation
As human in this life,

A ribbon, something bright
To wear before I die.
I lived a human life.

I played and I grew up,
More or less, albeit
Neither straight, strong, nor tall.

I joked, laughed, and goofed off.
I studied and I worked.
I taught and I professed.

I was diligent, daft,
Feckless, reckless, lazy,
Focused, and productive.

I breathed, ate, and got sick.
I fell and fell apart.
I more or less healed up.

I told the truth. I lied.
I was lucky in love
And unlucky in love.

I had a family,
Fell out with family,
And made a family.

I balanced my accounts,
Sometimes, and sometimes failed.
I tuned in and dropped out

And wormed my way back in
Again. I traveled some.
I stayed at home a lot.

I voted, protested,
And paid taxes, except
When I did not. I was

A person, behaviors,
Bacteria, ideas,
Doubts, convictions, the lot.

I pulled words out of books,
Out of my ears, thin air,
Paper bags, empty hats.

So. About that medal.
Gilt’s good enough for me.
And that’s enough of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment